Monday, April 18, 2011

Birdfriends at the ABQ zoo

While visiting New Mexico last week, I went to the Albuquerque zoo...I go there pretty much anytime I'm in town because of this:

There's a sulfur-crested cockatoo there that I love and it remembered me this time. I think it must have been raised around people since the first time I saw it, it came over and pushed through the bars to be petted! So smart! This time, my parents went up to the cage and it was just sitting calmly. However, when I came over it started dancing all over the place, said "Hello!" and waved, and ran to the front of the cage to whistle at me. It even made the same whistling noises I make.

Disclaimer--I would not recommend that you attempt to pet any birds in the zoo though...they have pretty large beaks and could certainly bite you if they wanted to.

I made a second bird friend this time...one of the zoo volunteers had a mini macaw sitting out with her in the Rainforest room.


Apparently I was the first person he said "Hello!" to all day. He did a lot of talking and dancing for me, and bonked on the perch like Edy does.

They also have a room with a ton of budgies there who fly around and do parakeet things, like nest in a log.


  
The flamingos at the zoo entrance are always quite colorful and loud!

  

There are also a bunch of peacocks who randomly wander the zoo and are not real shy. If you're eating french fries they usually want some.


If you can get up close to see, their tails are really amazing.



3 comments:

  1. That's so cool that the cockatoo remembered you. You're like the Bird Whisperer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's what my mom said too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats awesome i love cockies my favourite aussie bird
    they are awesome in the wild
    definately worth seeing ;)

    ReplyDelete